Thursday, August 30, 2012

This Week...



This week has been rough. It's only Thursday (I'm writing this on Wednesday night) and I am already done. This week I am hating my husband's job. I hate that he works 14 hr days. I hate that on Tuesday he had to go to a meeting that took up most of the day. I hate that most weeks, 3 out of the 7 days, Jordan and I eat dinner without him.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am grateful and so blessed that Ashish still has a job. We are blessed that we live a very comfortable life. We are blessed to be able to share some of the blessings that God has so graciously given to us with others. I am lucky that he doesn't travel or that he isn't in the military. But this week, I am hating Ashish's job.

Jordan has hit the terrible 3's...again! The spanking spoon had to make yet another appearance in our house. He isn't listening. His mouth is so smart that I swear he has a PhD. This week has left me asking myself "what am I doing wrong?" Am I not giving him enough attention? Am I giving him too much attention? Am I not investing enough one on one time with him?

When I get down on myself and my parenting skills I have to remember, parenting isn't easy. Every mom thinks that they aren't doing enough for their kids. Every mom, at some point or another, has looked in the mirror, at the end of a LONG day, and cried over their child. Every mother has cried for their child. And every mother, at some point or another, has to stop allowing the self doubt to creep in.

As a mother, the best thing you can do for your child is to do what you do best. Love them. Tell them that you love them. Show them that you love them. I do all of these things, everyday, several times a day. I remind Jordan that despite how big the tantrum is or how smart his mouth gets, that will never stop me from loving him unconditionally.

I'm not doing anything wrong. This phase will pass. I will be remain confident in my parenting.

And that is what is going on...this week!

Pinned Image

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I know firsthand that you are an INCREDIBLE mom!! Never doubt yourself. Jordan is smart, handsome, and extremely clever. All of those things that are bringing out the spanking spoon will eventually be honed in to the power of good and be one of his best attributes and extremely successful in the future. Right now though, it just sucks. He is truly a good boy, just like you said, going through a phase. And just like you said, every mom doubts. I look at Jonathan sometimes and think he is way too spoiled. I don't want him to grow up feeling self entitled and you already know he does NOT know how to share. PERIOD. Then I remember he is 2. And Jordan is just 3. Three itty bitty years on this earth. I have panties older than that. He will get it together. It may take a wooden spoon and several more hours of no TV to get there, but he will get there. You both are doing a great job my love.

And yes, we can both say we hate the hours our men work BUT so grateful they have the work ethic to work them. That is a beautiful blessing.

MorgHarpNich.com said...

Hi, you don't know me at all, but I hope things get better for you soon. And I agree with Jennifer. I don't have kids, but when I was a kid I remember one thing my mom would do was kindly remind us that we might be pitching a tantrum (at 2 or 3), but there was nothing like a 26 year old tantrum, and she constantly reminded us that we did NOT want to see it. I'm 22 and I still have yet, and I'm still scared of that tantrum she was talking about. Once kids start learning, they get excited, and they want to show what they know! I just remember learning that my parents always knew more though. :)
Will be praying for you and looking forward to future posts :)

Emily said...

I am going through the same things with my soon to be three year old. I am hoping things get easier for us soon! I am sure you are a great mom and that this is just a phase!